[mythtv] IOBOUND - blocking in ThreadedFileWriter::Write()

myth at fusion.fastmail.fm myth at fusion.fastmail.fm
Sat Apr 5 16:40:01 EST 2003

Hi.

I'm having trouble with a recent CVS version of MythTV. When watching
Live TV or when a show is recording, I get:

IOBOUND - blocking in ThreadedFileWriter::Write()
ran out of free AUDIO buffers :-(
ran out of free AUDIO buffers :-(
.
.
.
etc. repeating about 20 times

And then everything freezes. I checked the archives, and this problem was
mentioned by Bry Mayland on Jan 14, and also in a thread started by
Isaiah on Jan 5. Isaiah mentions some changes he made to
NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp, but since the code has been re-arranged since
then, I don't know what it was that he changed to fix the problem. I am
using the same audio driver as him, the ALSA VIA82cxxx driver.
How could I work out what the problem is?

Also, in the interests of saving electricity, I'd like to write a program
to turn off the computer when it doesn't need to be on, and automatically
turn it back on again when it's time to make a recording. I took a look
at the nvram-wakeup program
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/nvram-wakeup) which makes the necessary
changes to nvram to set the RTC alarm in the BIOS. With most modern
motherboards, you can set the alarm time up to a month in the future. At
the specified time, the computer turns itself on, and if you have
mythbackend in your startup scripts, recording of any scheduled program
would begin automatically.

I need to write a program so that when the user quits the frontend, the
computer is turned off if there are no programs to be recorded in the
next 30 or so minutes. Before the computer shuts down, the program would
check MySQL to see when the next scheduled recording was. Then set the
RTC alarm to a little before that time. The computer would restart to do
the recording, and then if there were no further recordings for some
time, shut down again. Of course, if the user started the frontend (I.e.
by pushing "Power" on their remote), then the system would stay on for as
long as the frontend was running.

My motivation for doing this is because I don't want a noisy machine
running 24 hours a day just to make the odd recording. And because I'm
too cheap to buy quiet parts :-). Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.

-Patrick