[mythtv] backend hangs before probing

John David Garza garza at cjas.org
Mon Apr 7 18:17:59 EDT 2003

Hello,

I did have mythtv working last week on my gentoo box.  However, after
updating my world i've managed to break myth, and recompiling it
doesn't fix it (i've tried both 0.8 and cvs).  I've emerged my system
back to what it was before (i think) but i'm still having problems.
When I call mythbackend, it hangs after the "Starting up as the master
server." instead of probing the video device.

Using the frontend, mythtv says the card is in use and all the files
listed also say "Error: file missing!".  I can use the other items tho
like recording scheduling, and this has been the only way I can get the
backend to seg fault out of this state, by scheduling a recording.
Once it comes time to start the scheduled recording it'll segfault with
no errors, here is the gdb output from such a case:

bash-2.05b# gdb ./mythbackend
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/mythbackend
[New Thread 16384 (LWP 2425)]
Starting up as the master server.
[New Thread 32769 (LWP 2429)]
[New Thread 16386 (LWP 2430)]

[Switching to Thread 16386 (LWP 2430)]
0x40901f62 in pthread_mutex_lock () from /lib/libpthread.so.0

#0  0x40901f62 in pthread_mutex_lock () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x080732dd in PlaybackSock::SendReceiveStringList(QStringList&)
(this=0x0, strlist=@0x418169ac)
     at playbacksock.cpp:40
#2  0x08073967 in PlaybackSock::GetEncoderState(int) (this=0x0,
capturecardnum=1) at playbacksock.cpp:117
#3  0x0805ffa8 in EncoderLink::GetState() (this=0x82bf808) at
encoderlink.cpp:78
#4  0x08078527 in Scheduler::RunScheduler() (this=0x82c4e50) at
scheduler.cpp:959
#5  0x080786ff in Scheduler::SchedulerThread(void*) (param=0x82c4e50)
at scheduler.cpp:1005
#6  0x40901120 in pthread_start_thread () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#7  0x40901222 in pthread_start_thread_event () from
/lib/libpthread.so.0

I can use xawtv so I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware configuration
issue, and mysql is running.  All the perms on the video devices and
storage points are correct.  Also, I'm able to go thru the setup
program, but that doesn't help either.  I'm really stumped, i've been
whacking this box since friday :(  Any fellow gentoo gurus out there
know what I might've emerged that mucked this up?