[mythtv] System-wakeup

myth at fusion.fastmail.fm myth at fusion.fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 10 09:52:17 EDT 2003

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 10:44:07 -0700 (PDT), "Cliff Draper"
<Cliff.Draper at sun.com> said:
> From: Christian Hoenig <me at christianhoenig.de>
> Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:27:40 +0200
> > I was working on auto shutdown and wakeup for mythtv. Unfortunately those guys
> > in the states don't care about their power consumption ;-) , so Isaac didn't
> > care very much about my patch.
>
> Well, in California we do.  Ever since I got a $500 power bill, I've
> cared more about it.

I sent a suggestion to the list a while ago about writing a program to do
shutdown and wakeup (buried at the bottom of another post). I suggested
using the nvram-wakeup code, which modifies the BIOS NVRAM to set a
wakeup time. And since Myth uses a MySQL database, it should be easy to
decide when the machine needs to sleep and wake depending on scheduled
recording times in the database.

-Patrick