[mythtv] Can I have 0.8 *and* CVS installed and working at the same time?

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Fri Apr 11 14:34:47 EDT 2003

Matt Zimmerman wrote
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:40:11PM -0400, Andy Davidoff wrote:
>
> > My suggestion was that two different databases be known by one name,
> > depending on which instance was desired.  Is the following more clear?
>
> Yes, but wouldn't it be simpler to use separate mysql.txt configuration
> files?  It also has the advantage of not requiring (root|mysql) privileges
> to mess with database internals and start/stop the database.

that's exactly why I suggested doing it with the mysql.txt files.
I'm going to do it that way, because:
1) it's simpler, cleaner, less hacky
2) my database is running on a machine completely
   separate from my myth backend and frontend boxes
   and is "in production" for other things.  :)
   it's silly to start it up and stop it when you
   just need your application to point to a different
   name.  you're already using the same disk space, so
   you might as well have full-time access to the data.

-Chris