[mythtv] Frontend hangs while watching tv / backend "out of free AUDIO buffers" error

Jason Tackaberry tack at auc.ca
Fri Apr 11 21:16:39 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 19:19, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> After perhaps 5 seconds, the backend begins spewing repeatedly "ran out
> of free AUDIO buffers :-("

More info (cvs from a few minutes ago):

About 50% of the time that I begin watching live tv, it begins showing
video and after about 5 seconds of jerky playback and out-of-sync audio,
I suddenly hear an awful hissing/scratching noise (loud!) as if someone
did cat /dev/urandom >  /dev/dsp.  The frontend says repeatedly "Audio
buffer overflow, audio data lost!"

If I escape and go back to live tv, it's often fine, although audio
might be out of sync for 10 seconds or so, and then it syncs up.  I
expect this is related to my original problem.

Speaking of the original problem, I had reported that I hit pause and
then change the channel to cause the hang.  Pause is a red herring.
Just changing the channel is enough to cause the problem to occur.

I reverted back to 0.8 and all of these problems don't appear.

Cheers,
Jason.