[mythtv] System-wakeup

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Sat Apr 12 12:36:26 EDT 2003

Ben Bucksch wrote
> Christian Hoenig wrote:
>
> >Do we now wakeup the backend, the mysqlserver (or both if they
> >are diff'rent machines) ?
> >
> My thinking, because you aske for feedback :-):
..snip..
> You then first try to contact them, and if that fails, you try to
> wake them up.

I don't think you have that kind of control.  When you attempt
to make contact, WoL (if enabled) would cause the target machine
to wake because of the incoming packets.  Either you send a packet
to that host or you don't.

Another issue that may need to be looked at is that the frontend
doesn't currently attempt to re-establish a connection to the
backend, after communication is lost, which is annoying in
general, but could make it impossible to implement this idea.

There might be varying degrees of success with saving state to
disk with the current suspend-to-disk options, as mentioned by
Henk in his post.

-Chris