[mythtv] Channel changing Bugs...

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Sun Apr 13 08:41:00 EDT 2003

> Van: Robert Middleswarth <robert at middleswarth.net>
>>
>> HBO? Showtime? No..
>>
>> They don't broadcast in The Netherlands, is it a (single) channel
anyways?
>> I heard about it sometimes on Slashdot. I'm not sure, can you explain?
>> Digital TV?
>
> Simple description of Digital TV.  Digital TV boxes take Streamed MPG2
> and output either to RCA/SVideo/NTSC Channel 3 in the form of a settop
box.

Yes, I know, so? Channel 3 is used for this in the USA, so?

I don't understand why you explain the concept digital TV (via set-top
box). I think we should treat eachother as being an alien from mars. "HBO"
(short for HoobrokBeekaDabo?) and "Showtime" (show what? underpants? ah,
clocks!) doesn't say a thing to me. See it like a turingtest ;-)

Someone else explained that HBO and Showtime are cable transmissions, for
example CNN. Would CNN than be 'an HBO'? Do you use a descrambler (HBO
box?) to see these special channels, or is "HBO and Showtime" 'just there',
as long as you can receive cable transmissions? aka, you pay for HBO and
Showtime, and the 'normal' ether-stations are on it for free?

I Europe ether transmissions are barely used (aka not 'normal'). Most of
the time only for the national stations, a couple or three. Everything is
cable broadcasted. I think because in America the cities are miles from
eachother they can manage that two broadcast antennas do not to interfer.
In Europe they have chosen 'the right' thing, that is, let everyone (who
wants to use it) tune to the nearest ether frequencies.

	Henk Poley <><