[mythtv] Channel changing Bugs...

Andrew M. Bishop amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 13 08:38:40 EDT 2003

Andy Davidoff <dert at pobox.com> writes:

> On Apr 12, at 17:50, Leandro Dardini encoded a 1.0K recording:

> > I am using mythtv from about three months and still I am discovering
> > new features. I live in Europe too, and I use the chanid
> > ordering. Is there a way to select a channel by its chanid with the
> > remote? I'd like to press 1 and watch chanid 1.

> This is the original problem, AFAICT from the month or two I've been
> following/working-on tuning.
>
> Why don't we rename or at least divorce chanid from its current
> role and use it as the second layer of indirection that the folks
> in Europe have been asking for.  I realize that chanid is currently
> being used in this capacity (sort of) by some people.  I'm suggesting
> that we make this the only behavior world-wide, for consistency and
> simplicity.
>
> We'll sort on chanid and take inputs from the remote against the
> values of that column.  For N. America, this means chanid == channum
> by default.  For Europe, chanid == sort-order-of-channels.  The chanid
> values would be arbitrary, so everyone could renumber them to values
> that are more familiar or easier to input via remote.
>
> It seems to me that this simplifies the code and gives everyone new
> functionality without breaking anything.

Can you explain clearly what the problem is that you are solving by
doing this.  The description above seems only to describe two
different sorting methods and ways for entering channel "number" for
live TV; either by channum or by chanid.  This can surely be handled
by a configurable setting to use one or the other.  In fact there is
already a setting so that pressing the up and down keys go in chanid
or channum order.  There seems only to be missing the ability to type
in a chanid instead of channum.

In most cases chanid == channum anyway because that is what
mythfilldatabase does when adding new channels.  I thought that the
only exception to this was by running mythfilldatabase --manual.  In
fact running mythfilldatabase --manual allows everybody to change
chanid values now (if they clear existing channels from the database
first).

The solution is therefore to use chanid for all sorting everywhere.
Everybody that sorts by channum and doesn't have channum == chanid
must clear their databases and re-run mythfilldatabase --manual. :-)

--
Andrew.
Andrew M. Bishop                             amb at gedanken.demon.co.uk
                                      http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/