[mythtv] Channel changing Bugs...

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Mon Apr 14 13:06:20 EDT 2003

Henk Poley wrote:

>>Van: Robert Middleswarth <robert at middleswarth.net>
>>

>>>HBO? Showtime? No..
>>>
>>>They don't broadcast in The Netherlands, is it a (single) channel
>>>

>anyways?
>

>>>I heard about it sometimes on Slashdot. I'm not sure, can you explain?
>>>Digital TV?
>>>

>>Simple description of Digital TV.  Digital TV boxes take Streamed MPG2
>>and output either to RCA/SVideo/NTSC Channel 3 in the form of a settop
>>

>box.
>
>Yes, I know, so? Channel 3 is used for this in the USA, so?
>
>I don't understand why you explain the concept digital TV (via set-top
>box). I think we should treat eachother as being an alien from mars. "HBO"
>(short for HoobrokBeekaDabo?) and "Showtime" (show what? underpants? ah,
>clocks!) doesn't say a thing to me. See it like a turingtest ;-)

HBO stands for Home Box Office it is a TV channel that you pay for to
recieve movies, same with showtime, and CNN would be in that type of
group.  They are popular Pay (Usally Grouped into a package thought
Cable TV, or Sat. TV) .

>Someone else explained that HBO and Showtime are cable transmissions, for
>example CNN. Would CNN than be 'an HBO'? Do you use a descrambler (HBO
>box?) to see these special channels, or is "HBO and Showtime" 'just there',
>as long as you can receive cable transmissions? aka, you pay for HBO and
>Showtime, and the 'normal' ether-stations are on it for free?
>
>I Europe ether transmissions are barely used (aka not 'normal'). Most of
>the time only for the national stations, a couple or three. Everything is
>cable broadcasted. I think because in America the cities are miles from
>eachother they can manage that two broadcast antennas do not to interfer.
>In Europe they have chosen 'the right' thing, that is, let everyone (who
>wants to use it) tune to the nearest ether frequencies.
>
>	Henk Poley <><

In the US all of the stations are assigned by the FCC (The US Gov't
Agency that controls what freqency can be used and for what).a certain
freq. to brodcast over those freq. have for convice a standard were each
assigned frequency is given a channel number.  That standard is sometime
refered as the NTSC standard.  So when I say that something has an
output of NTSC Channel 3 it means that inside that box it takes the
image and generates a signal at the freq. setup under that stardard
refered to as Channel 3.  Any other questions I can answer them.  Might
be good to switch to private email for this.

robert
robert at middleswarth dot net