[mythtv] Fw: [mythtv-users] Myth is locking soundcard and preventing fullduplex operation

Edward Wildgoose edward.wildgoose at frmhedge.com
Tue Apr 15 23:43:48 EDT 2003

Sorry for any repeat messages I need to write this from a different account
which is currently locked out, and causing random problems here... durr

> On Tuesday 15 April 2003 12:19 pm, Edward Wildgoose wrote:
> > This was on a CVS from about a week or two ago. I also grabbed CVS, I
> > think last night (uk time), and now it doesn't even allow me to go into
> > live tv (hangs the front & perhaps the backend immediately). Previously
it
> > went into the frontend and only hung when changing channel with the
error I
> > reported - I don't think I get an error now when it hangs.
>
> Sure something else isn't holding onto /dev/dsp? artsd, esd, whatnot.

Nope, killed all that junk to be sure.  Literally when mythbackend is
running, but not recording, then I can use arecord and aplay simultaneously
(gives a kind of delayed tv sound when xawtv is running).

However, while arecord is running, trying to fire up xmms gives error
messages about the device being locked.  A similar but slightly different
message appears if I try and run up xmms while mythtv is recording.

I *can* then play back the recorded tv show with sound once myth has
finished recording, but there is no sound if I try and play while myth is
still recording, so something is definitely happening during record which is
locking the sound device.

> > I doubt I am giving you useful info to debug this though? Is there some
> > way I can reproduce a test case externally to myth to try and narrow
down
> > what is happening? The key problem seems to be that only a single audio
> > channel is playable and presumably attempts to open a second channel
cause
> > a hang.
>
> It doesn't. If it did, it wouldn't work on my machine as well, which only
> allows one thing to be played at a time.

What happens for you if you try and fire up xmms while recording a tv show?

Thanks for any pointers

Ed