[mythtv] WinPVR Support?

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Wed Apr 16 00:49:32 EDT 2003

I was completely shocked just now when I stumbled on
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html
talking about an update today claiming support hardware
encoding of the Hauppauge PVR cards, dated today.  Congrats.
I wasn't expecting that support for a while.  Did I skip past
an announcement on these lists recently?

Is there any more info on this topic?  ie:
1.  Any gotchas?  I see it only supports 1 card right now; hopefully will be
addressed by the driver authors.
2.  I saw a statement on the ivtv site indicating sound may not work??
3.  Do you consider this approach ready for prime-time?
4.  The Hauppauge site claims only the 350 does hardware compression, but
your site and the driver site seem to imply the 250 can also.  Comments?
If so, any other reason to get the 350?

This could drastically alter my plans for building a better machine in the
months ahead.  The cards are definately more expensive, but they could
allow much cheaper cpu specs.

BTW, the reason I was looking at this page again was I an reinstalling
my dual 450 with Mandrake 9.1 so hopefully I can get a clean coredump
to help with the backend problems I've seen.

Thanks,
Brian