[mythtv] Recording Profiles

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Apr 17 14:21:15 EDT 2003

Isaac Richards wrote:
> It doesn't stop writing to the ringbuffer.

Fascinating. My first question would then be about how it
creates the recording file so I did a quick test.

ls -ltri
13533220 -rw-r--r--    1 bjm      users    36064585 Apr 17 01:31
ringbuf1.nuv
13533222 -rw-r--r--    1 bjm      users    36064585 Apr 17 01:31
1050_20030417013000_20030417020000.nuv

So it's simply writing two different files. I made sure that
I was on the same channel (50) that was about to record.
I chose the watch while recording option and at 1:30 it did
restart the ringbuffer. The problem here is that, if you have
timeshifted, you lose the unwatched portion of the buffer. In
a later test, I was about 5 minutes behind and at the half-hour,
it skipped ahead to the beginning of the new show and the end
of the previous show was lost. I don't believe that this is a
behavior that anybody would want.

This might be slick if the ring buffer did continue to write
while the recording file was started. If not, the next best thing
would be to stop writing to the buffer, start the recording but
leave the buffer file in tact until the user exited playback or
hit the end of the buffered portion.

None of this is as important as the v4l2 support and I should
abstain on LiveTV issues since I really don't care. I figure
that if I don't have better choices in the recorded list than
whatever happens to be on at the time, I must not be using the
DVR correctly ;-).

 > I don't even want to contemplate changing encoding parameters mid-stream.

Agreed =). For me, I'd think that recording with the correct
codec params and the ability to finish watching a buffer after
a recording starts would outweigh the ability to have it
continue to play something without human intervention (even
though it does prompt for human intervention).

--  bjm