[mythtv] Question about recording capabilities...

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Tue Apr 22 20:45:41 EDT 2003

wwinright at attbi.com wrote:

>This may be a moot point, but is there a way/could there be a way to start recording a program while watching it, and have the data that has been buffered included in the file? For instance, I turn on my TV which has been buffering a particular channel for the past 15 mins, and decide I would like to record the show to watch later and have the complete 30min block. Does this make any sense?

Yes, a lot, that's one of the things on my wishlist. There is currently
no way to save the buffer, in case I have to exit out of livetv. E.g.
once, a record wanted to start nd I allowed it, but I couldn't finish
watching the movie although I was lagging behind so much that the rest
of the movie was in the buffer. Ideally, I'd have the option to record
until the end of the show (which I am looking atm, not what's live atm -
another show might have started while I am still lagging behind on the
previous one) or a certain time (from now on).

I'd generally like the LiveTV buffer to be more persistant. For example,
when the frontend of backend crashes or freezes or I accidently exit out
of it or whatever, the buffer is lost.