[mythtv] DVB integration - first attempt!

Wed Apr 23 11:43:52 EDT 2003

Ben, this sounds great.  I would like to get a look at it so far, and I will see what I can do about a shell account.

I'm not sure that I quite understand what you are doing though.  Here is how I see that we might do this:

- Use an external daemon program to provide the tuning.  This is effectively going to be a thin wrapper around dvbstream (and I think it makes sense to wrap the code because it is still presumably evolving?), which needs two interfaces: a) input to take a channel to tune (and this could be as simple as a text string which is looked up in channels.conf) b) output to a (unix socket?) so that it can be picked up by myth

- Modify Myth to: a) read from the external device, and b) modify the channel change code to switch channel in an appropriate way - these would appear be the only two changes required.

I think by seperating things like this then it will make it easier to test and debug.

The point is that I can test your tuning script for you (or write one myself), and I can also send you the MPEG output which you can then use on a machine with no tuner to simulate input into myth.

I'm thinking that a small perl script wrapped around dvbstream would take care of creating a suitable device for myth to access.  We can then start working on the myth side and I am happy to knock you up an mpeg stream which just plays in a loop and gets stuffed down the socket in order to simulate the effect of having a card.

Let me know what you think and also an address where you are happy to get a large mpeg test stream (remember this stuff is 15Mbits/sec...)

I think the idea of having an external deamon provide the tuning socket will be useful at this stage anyway, and I like your idea of using dvbstream - this wrapper would easily allow the possibility to run the DVBStream command on a different machine and provide the device locally (perhaps useful on tiny machines with only a single PCI slot?)

Anyway, the main question is how to modify myth???  Do you think it is a simple matter to just alter the MpegRecord.cpp module to ditch the v4l2 stuff, or is something more complicated needed?

Thanks

Ed