[mythtv] Obtaining TV Listing Data and also Gist.com Closing

Matthew S. Hallacy poptix at techmonkeys.org
Fri Apr 25 08:13:43 EDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 06:41:45AM -0700, Adam Lydick wrote:
> Actually, they can. Usage of their site probably requires agreeing to
> some draconican license agreement. For the 98% of people who don't
> really care about that, they can just limit the number of pageloads per
> IP / day. Most normal web surfers are not going to scrape the entire
> site. Certainly not at the rate that XMLTV does.
>
> Adam

Has anyone considered a distributed sort of data collection via XDS data?
My television has at least a few days worth of listings, just by listening
to what's already sent over the wire (or air). mythbackend (or another
program) could grab the data, submit it to a central server somewhere,
and distribute it by zipcode/provider/whatever.

This might only be useful in the USA/UK though =)