[mythtv] Questions

Paul Smith paullocal at pscs.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 10:28:13 EDT 2003

Main question - does anyone know how to use an UIRT2 with Linux? LIRC
doesn't seem to support it yet and the UIRT2 people seem to only 'support'
it in Windows (with Girder).

I have two UIRT2's from when I was doing this stuff in Windows, but now I'm
wanting to use one in Linux since I have one spare.

Now, my current research suggests that there isn't yet a way to use a UIRT2
in Linux, so I'm going to have a go at creating a program to do that. I
believe I can talk to the UIRT2 to receive and send IR commands (the
interface is well documented and this is pretty much standard C stuff) -
the thing I'm having difficulty with is how to transmit those commands to
MythTV.

In Windows, I know precisely how I'd do it, but any Linux specific stuff
(like faking keystrokes to a different app) is beyond my experience. Anyone
have any ideas?

(Yes, I know I could have a go at writing a module for LIRC, but, to be
honest, if I was to have to do that, I expect that I'd never get around to
doing it since I'm a novice Linux programmer (but experienced Windows one),
but if I got it working first as a standalone thing I may look into making
it work with LIRC later)

(The UIRT2 is PIC based whereas LIRC seems to mainly support only 'dumb' IR
receivers not the quite intelligent PIC based ones)

Paul				VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
support at pscs.co.uk			http://www.pscs.co.uk/