[mythtv] globalsettings.cpp

Michael J. Pedersen michael.j.pedersen at verizon.net
Wed Apr 30 18:56:45 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 03:45:12PM -0400, Craig Longman wrote:

> has anyone else had trouble compiling this file?  i'm using gcc-2.95.4,
> i've considered upgrading, but i've heard other people say they've had
> trouble with newer versions.
>
> anyway, i can eventually compile this file, but i frequently have to
> execute a 'make' 2 or 3 times to get it to work, the other times it
> crashes (i forget the actual error reported).  it also takes a
> relatively long time to compile.  its a reasonably innocuous looking
> file, but i guess it uses a lot of other cpp objects/files, which are
> always slower to compile.
>
> is this just something to live with, or is there a better version of gcc
> to use?

Personal experience here, so it may or may not apply to you: Errors like
what you're describing occur to me on my Athlon system during times of
high CPU load and inadequate cooling. If you've got an Athlon, power
down the system, blow out all the fans, and maybe even reseat the fan
(with new thermal grease if you use it).

Also helps to just do a general cleaup while you can.

Hope this helps!

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net