[mythtv] File Size Limitations

Eric eric at cisu.net
Sat Aug 2 00:24:25 EDT 2003

I spent a while figuring out why my mythbackend suddenly gave out on me after
10 minutes and it was hitting file size limitations. I am using kernel 2.4.21
and FAT32 to store file. I know its a bad choice for this but its a general
purpose storage disk that WinXP must get along with. Anyways, I have some
suggestions on this subject:
	1) Handle filesize limitations gracefully. Mythbackend quit very suddenly
hanging frontend when 2GB hit- automotically split files when it reaches the
FS limit instead of aborting.
	2) Gently remind people of some common limitations of filesystems so they
(like me) don't make silly mistakes. A table in the FAQ/Docs would be nice. I
am aware of FS limitations but am kinda sketchy on what FS/Kernels support
what. It's easy enough to figure out, but a table would speed things up and
(again) prevent me and others from doing stupid things.
	3) Maybe some sort of autodetection. File splitting and max file sizes could
be autodetected and hard set so mythbackend doesnt quit suddenly. Also User
configuration of file size handling. I know there is a live buffer
setting....but more options for file size handling. There could be an option
for MAX buffer size and SPLIT file size. For example it could use 10GB but
split at 2GB giving you 5 buffer files.

I hope this helps development..as the FS limit is kinda frustrating me. It's
kinda late so if this post confuses anyone or they want me to explain just cc
me.