[mythtv] Fw: DVB Big PATCH, Part I - for CVS pls

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Mon Aug 4 21:07:58 EDT 2003

Ramon Roca wrote:

>>    * PIDs
>>          o Please use more descriptive names for the PID fields. vpids,
>>            apids, adpids, tpids, ppids, what? Which one is the generic
>>            one for things that we don't support yet?
>>

> vpids= videopids
> apids=audio pids
> adpids=audio dolby pids
> tpids=teletext pids
> ppids=pcr pids

OK, sounds like good names. So, how about:

   * pids_video
   * pids_audio
   * pids_ac3
   * pids_teletext
   * pids_subtitles
   * pids_pcr (what is PCR?)
   * pids_other

? (Sounds a bit silly to me to have so many fields for PIDs, if we don't
really need them anyways for anything technical, but because you insist...)

> Right now we still need at least audio/video.

I have yet to hear a good reason why, but I give up trying to get one.

>>          o If you separate them, you must read/use them all in
>>

> dvbchannels.
> Unless the code gets magic, we will have to read them everywhere we
> want to use them =)

My point. But *if* you add them, you *have to* use them at least in
dvbchannels, or you'll fool users who try to use them and wonder why it
doesn't work. That's maybe 2 lines of code.

> NO. Channels belongs to satellites, diseqc to antenna configuration. That
> would be a BIG mistake. Imagine for instance more than one card in a
> backend with different diseqc configurations as a source at each card.

OK, that's a reason to separate diseqc from channels.

>>          o sat table
>>            Do you really need to prefill all the values, or
>>            can you fetch it from some imported channel config file?
>>

> having a relational database is the best place to have it, better than
> hardcoded.

Actually, you do hardcode it in the mc.sql (and currently in cvs.sql and
10-to-11.sql as well). Thus my question about config files.

>>          o What's that channellists? Nothing uses it, and I can't see
>>            how it would be used. Why do you need channellistsmembers
>>            and don't just add a single channellistid field to the
>>            channel table?
>>

> That's a master/detail. A common way to describe this kind of
> relationships in a relational model.

Of course. My question was: Why do you need that detail table? What do
you store there which you can't store elsewhere, e.g. in the channel
table? It seems to me that the channels/channels_dvb table and the
channellistsmembers table have a 1:1 relationship (or at least almost),
in which case you can merge them.

> Will be already used within mythchannels to browse channels by groups.
> since I'm able to load it....

What is a "group"? We already know providers and channels types. So,
groups are music stations, news, sports, movies etc.? Could you please
add that as comment to the definition?