[mythtv] Fw: DVB Big PATCH, Part I - for CVS pls

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Tue Aug 5 12:39:37 EDT 2003

Kenneth Aafløy wrote:

>Now, these pids can't contain anything other than audio/video, and can only contain one of each.

Wrong. You can currently (in CVS, without Ramon's patch) record any
number of PIDs of any type.

What Ramon's patch does is to split them up into types of PIDs which
Ramon knows (and he missed at least one type) and to ignore all types
apart from video and stereo audio. It thus breaks AC3 (if the database
is used correctly).

>libdvbdev only handles video/audio.

Nope, it handles all types of streams. (Unless I am missing something.)

>If we where to store for example subtitles (or
>multiple audio/video) in the recording, how would that affect the player?

If the player supports them, it would allow the user to see the
subtitles (or other audio streams), accessed in a way custom to that
player. Xine, for example, has a button to switch between audio tracks
and another one to switch between subtitles.

>Also currently there is no way of even identifying which is which of those 'pids'

Not for the MythTV backend, no, but I don't see where this would be
needed. The player can infer the type of streams/PIDs by the stream itself.