[mythtv] PATCH: select cdrip artist & genre (was: additions for mythmusic ripper GUI)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 9 12:39:12 EDT 2003

On Friday 08 August 2003 02:22, thor wrote:
> On Friday 08 August 2003 04:20 pm, Joseph Caputo wrote:
> > You mentioned recently that you're planning on evetually migrating the CD
> > ripper into the new mtd.
>
> 	I believe the quote was, "there are plans" rather than, "I have plans.",
> but yup.   =)
>
> > If you do, are you planning on moving/rewriting
> > the CD ripper GUI, or using the existing one?
>
> 	It's a pretty safe assumption that at some point everything will be
> rewritten as a Myth-Widget based theme-able dialog.
>
> > Basically, the idea is allow the user to 'tweak' the artist & genre
> > information fetched from the disc or CDDB.  In the case of artists, often
> > different albums & CDDB sources will have typos or different spellings.
>
> 	I'd say keep working on it, at least to the extent that you can separate
> the programming logic of what you want to do from the GUI. The category
> lookups and comparisons will be of use no matter what.
>
> - thor

OK, here's the first patch.  It changes the "Artist:" field on the cdrip gui
to an (editable) MythComboBox, and adds one for "Genre:" as well.  The
initial value in the text field of the combo box is filled in from the disc
data (cddb or whatever); the combobox list is filled with the existing
artists or genres from your current music database.

I also made changes to the MythComboBox widget so that if it's editable it
doesn't ignore keypresses when you type in it.

Now, I'd like some feedback on this because there are a couple more things I
want to add.  First, I'd like to add an option to control where files get
written when ripped.  Currently, it's hard-coded to <Music
Storage>/<artist>/<album>.  I store my music in
(much like the one now that controls how your music tree is organized), that
would allow you to specify a directory using the keywords "genre", "artist"
and "album", but I thought that might be overkill, because though you might
omit any one of those three levels, it's unlikely you'd want to change their
order.  Or I could just use the existing music tree setting... I'll implement
whatever the popular consensus is.

Along the same lines, I'd like to introduce a format string for generating
ripped track filenames.  Currently, it's just <title>.ogg (or .flac).  I'd
like to add the option to do <tracknum>-<title>.ogg, or whatever.

I'll maintain the current behavior as defaults, and make everything an option.

Comments?

-JAC