[mythtv] MythDVD (mplayer) locks when displayed on 2nd X server

Michael Thomson linux at M-Thomson.net
Mon Aug 11 21:57:08 EDT 2003

Hi Folks

I have a strange problem, which may or may not be obvious to someone here.
It's a userland problem, but since mythdvd hasn't made an 'official' Myth
release yet, I hope you'll forgive me?

I have an NForce2-based Shuttle box, with the first VGA out driving a LCD
panel. Everything Myth-related works fine on this, including mythdvd and
mplayer launching.

I also have the Shuttle's TV-out connected to the S-VIDEO input on my TV.

I start Myth on the second display by starting a second X server, which
disables the LCD panel and switches to the TV layout. All this works fine,
and almost everything works as expected. When Myth quits, everything is back
on the LCD panel. Peachy.

However, mplayer (when started by mythdvd) works fine on the LCD panel, but
hangs on the TV! The mplayer process is started, but the screen never moves
from the mythdvd "Play DVD" button, and the DVD isn't spun up.

In the mplayer output, I get the messages up to the end of the LIRC checks
(which I don't use).

The next console messages (when running on the LCD panel) are the result of
probing the DVD - number of chapters, angles etc. but this may be a red
herring.

Can anyone suggest a way to understand what mplayer is looking for or
getting upset about?

If it helps, here's the shell script I'm using to launch on the second
server:

> #!/bin/sh
> xinit /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend -- :1 -ac +bs -xf86config XF86Config-Tvonly

And XF86Config-Tvonly contains:

> Section "Module"
>   Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
>   Load "v4l" # Video for Linux