[mythtv] Idea

Jason Schloer schloer.jason at tangoinc.com
Thu Aug 14 15:06:02 EDT 2003

So, I'm thinking of doing some work on Myth but wanted to check and see
if it's something that others would want at all(especially Isaac),
before I go devoting too much time to it. That said, I was thinking of
extending the plugin architecture to support an interface for TV
overlay. My main reason for doing this is Home automation, but I imagine
there would be other uses as well. I'd like to be able to open a plugin
menu which lists all plugins which implement mythplugin_overlay, or
something like that. Existing plugins could support it, for example,
mythmusic could allow CD ripping while watching TV, or myth weather
could be turned on to show the weather somewhere on screen. A Stock
plugin could be added to display a stock ticker if a user wanted. For me
I'd like to be able to turn off the lights without dropping out of
watching my current show to the main menu, or heaven forbid get off my
lazy arse and turn them off manually.

Anyway, forgive me if this has been discussed before and rejected or
seems like a crummy idea. I mostly wanted to see if work in this
direction would potentially be accepted into the project, or if it would
violate some original premise of its design. Look forward to hearing
everyone's input. Later,

Jason Schloer