[mythtv] transcoding with cutlist

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Aug 14 14:41:03 EDT 2003

On 14 Aug 2003 19:43:45 +0200, "Martin Moeller martin-at-martinm-76.dk
|mythtv/1.0-Allow|" <mvx1hgfxer0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> Well, after thinking it over for several split-seconds I decided to
> throw caution to the wind and just do it :)
>
> Guess what: My first file seems to be A-OK.
>
> What might I do next... I know: Do it again with a different file :)
>
> mythtranscode output:
>
> martin at monsterpc:/Multimedia/TV> mythtranscode -c 2 -s
> 2003-08-05T00:30:00 -p Transcode -k
> Transcoding from /Multimedia/TV/2_20030805003000_20030805012000.nuv to
> /Multimedia/TV/2_20030805003000_20030805012000.nuv.tmp
> CreatedThreads
> allocating additonal buffer for : video(21)
> allocating additonal buffer for : video(22)
> allocating additonal buffer for : video(23)
Yep, that looks pretty good.  I'm glad it works well for PAL too.  Does
the audio/video sync look okay through the show (especially near the
end)?  More importantly, is this useful enough for me to continue working
on it?

By the way, I don't recommend using that mythtranscode with mythtv (i.e.
don't hit 'X' while watching a recording).  It is PROBABLY safe, but I
wouldn't wnat to bet my nuv's on it.

To make this generally useful, (a) MPlayer 1.0 should come out, otherwise
users need to build from CVS, (b) I need to cleanup the patch, and do
whatever is needed for audio/video sync (this will probably only be an
issue when dealing with commercial-cuts), (c) there needs to be some
script that will automate these steps for the user.

I am willing to do the work needed for (b), (a) is obviously out of our
hands, but mplayer 1.0, is due out 'any day now'.  (c) is really
important, and something I have no interest in doing.  There are already
two scripts I'm aware of (mythmkmovie and mythencode), and I've never
used either.  Is anyone interested in doing this?  For me it was mostly
just the novelty of 'can I do this?', which I have satisfactorily
answered with 'yes'.  Since the only use I would ever have for this is to
convert nuvs into DVD, and that process is still too painful to be
worthwhile, there is no strong compulsion for me to finish this and add
more code to the transcoder, unless someone is actually planning on using
it.

.Geoff