[mythtv] DVB todo list (was: DVB & mythchannels)

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Mon Aug 18 12:18:02 EDT 2003

Edward Wildgoose wrote:

>16:9 definitely does work

(Thanks to whoever implemented that.)

>>Setup (channel config, channel list import) is being worked on (by Ramon)
>>

>It's coming on really nicely.

Yes :-)

But it needs to be reviewed and accepted to get into CVS. There may be a
number of (significant?) changes necessary.

>>use_ts = 1
>>

>I haven't tried under my full featured card (why would I?)

Because the card's chip or the driver may only be able to filter a
limited amount of PIDs (e.g. 8), and for parallel recordings, you may
need more.

>>Free DVB and encrypted DVB and analog coexistance, e.g.
>>

>Tricky.  I think we need some guidance as to an approved way to set this up.

The approved way is "don't do it" :-] for now.

>>Station vs. channel separation
>>
>Can you expand on what you mean by that?

I wrote *extensive* emails about that in spring.

Basically, MythTV needs to learn about the concept of a "station" (e.g.
BBC1) in contrast to a "channel" (BBC1 on analog TV, channum E23 or on
DVB satellite Astra 1F, freq 123465456 Hz, Pol ..., PIDs ...). The user
only deals with stations and MythTV uses the best available channel.

>>Scheduled recordings on a certain card or card type (related to recording profile, which is now configurable per scheduled recording?) or > alternatively priorisation (give the better card to a certain recording)
>>

>Nice!

It's just a suggestion, nobody to implement it.

>>Reportedly, some UK stations are dumb enough to send 4:3 material as 16:9, creating thick, black borders on all 4 sides of the picture.
>>

>I can supply a sample if it helps?

I can imagine it pretty well, please don't hurt my eyes ;-P.

Another addition to the todo-list: channel changing in LiveTV is slow.
Kenneth wanted to get exact numbers, where exactly it's spending the
time and what's the culprit.

>>People:

(Yeah, I forgot Ed, of course, without whom, there wouldn't be any DVB
support, because he allowed me to use him computer and DVB card.)