[mythtv] non-root myth under Red Hat (was: unprivileged user?)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 21 10:27:18 EDT 2003

I don't know what you mean by 'replace those packages'... all you have to do
is edit the file.  On my RH8 distro, its '/etc/security/console.perms' (try
'man 5 console.perms').  You probably want to do 2 things:  change the
default permissions on the devices so that it will revert to the Myth user
when no one is logged in, and also change the behavior of those devices so
that the console user doesn't get them on login (they remain owned/accesible
by Myth).  I realize that this means desktop users won't get access to the
sound & v4l devices, but that's really the only way to ensure that another
process won't have the device open when Myth wants it (unless your sound
card, like mine, supports multiple simultaneous opens; but even that is only
for output, I think).

-JAC