[mythtv] [Philosophical Discussion] VCDX patch for MythDVD

Steele Price steele at xtcp.net
Wed Aug 27 03:06:20 EDT 2003

I am VERY interested in this also for MythVideo and MythMusic

I have a huge library of movies, tv, audiobooks, and music all being
converted to be managed in Myth and need to move some of it off HD (a
terrabyte just isn't enough).  I also happen to have a Powerfile 200 disc
DVD changer that I am struggling to get working correctly under linux.
(sometimes it works, sometimes it hangs...)  I would really like to have the
DVD Changer catalog avalable in the menus and also be able to remove/add
these disks at will to the library.  What I have been working on for quite
sometime and finally gave up from lack of help and frustration over various
inconsistencies in video data... was to store the library data in an XML
file that sits on the disk so when I mount it Myth would know what to do
with it and insert all the metadata for the disk.

Ultimately a schema for the needs to be published and a write to disc option
needs to be available in Myth.  I am willing to help out with implementing
this if I can get feedback/input on how to go about doing it the "myth" way,
not my old experimental way-- see my website for details.  I don't want to
have some convoluted structure like mpeg7 or mpeg21 which I looked at quite
extensively.  Just pump the files (all of them, covers, descriptions, etc.)
to a simple mythdata.xml file on the disc and be done with it, then we have
the backward compatibility to deal with if we don't think of alot to go into
the structure initially... so.

Anyone REALLY interested in this please email me directly so we can get
going on it, I want to have an export Music playlist to cd/dvd that works
the same way.  I can host anything required to achieve the development of
this branch... i..e. forums, cvs/subversion repository, etc. so development
msgs don't tie up this list and there is a searchable trail for it.

Steele Price
CTO
Digital Dreamshop
http://xtcp.net