[mythtv] Re:Transcoding pvr-250 files

Vinton Coffman vintonc at redzone.com
Fri Aug 29 01:21:23 EDT 2003

I swapped in the new fix.  The total time is still wrong.  I transcoded
another 1 hour show and the total time is 21:32.  I've been timing this
show for a while and 20 minutes of real time translates into ~9
minutes.  Sorry for the lack of precision.  If you need more accuracy I
can retime the whole show tomorrow.

The audio pitch is definitely shifted lower.  The video is somewhat
different than the original.  I've only used the pvr-250 so this is my
first experience with mythtv and mpeg4.  I have all of the high quality
settings enabled and running on a Athlon 2500.  I wouldn't say the lip
syncing is off because the dialog starts and stops match up with the
start and stops of the lips moving, however, the movements in between
are off. Other movement like a scrolling weather warning at the bottom
of the screen and people walking look smooth.  It like there's not
enough lip movements between starting and stopping for the words
spoken(frames missing?).  Maybe the motion oddities are normal for
mpeg4 and just emphasized by the change in pitch of the audio.  Maybe
someone with more experience with mythtv and mpeg4 can give their
observations.

I may back out the changes tomorrow and try transcoding another show
that I'm more familiar with the voices.  The show I originally reported
the skipping and scanning issues about is something new I just started
watching but it doesn't seem to have the lower pitched audio.  I
haven't update alsa during this, just mythtv.  The original pvr-250
files sound fine.

Let me know what else I can do to help with testing.

Thanks,
Vinton