[mythtv] A couple of 16:9 questions and HDTV

Rick Weldon rick at nova.org
Sat Aug 30 01:36:15 EDT 2003

Okay, I'll answer my own post. Ignore my original drivel I should have just
dug in the code first.

I think the fix for getting "round" icons on 16:9 format would be to "square"
up the scaling so to speak. (sorry for the cheap pun)  In the mythcontext
code I see where the scaling factors are set in  InitializeScreenSettings().

    m_wmult = width / 800.0;
    m_hmult = height / 600.0;
    m_screenwidth = width;
    m_screenheight = height;

m_wmult and m_hmult should be the same for 4:3 screens and different when
dealing with wide screens with width larger. Good thing this, as its used in
the layout calculations. But in the routines that scale the icons
LoadScaleImage and LoadScalePixmap the width and height multipliers are
different for the 16:9 case and shouldn't be. As is here:

 QImage tmp2 = tmpimage.smoothScale((int)(tmpimage.width() * wmult),
                                           (int)(tmpimage.height() * hmult));

my thought is to make the multiplier for both hmult. I believe this will give
a round result instead of an oval for both 16:9 and 4:3 displays. As well as
the right size icons.  I tried changing both to hmult and built and ran both
resolutions and got correctly scaled icons. Will this work in all situations
though?  If so the fix is trivial. Change wmult to hmult in the LoadScale
methods.

Rick