[mythtv] Remote file timeout.

avalanche at beyondmonkey.com avalanche at beyondmonkey.com
Fri Dec 12 14:42:09 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jukka Kangas" <jka at purske.fi>
To: <mythtv-dev at mythtv.org>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 6:43 PM
Subject: [mythtv] Remote file timeout.

> Hi,
>
> I was having problems with playing recorded shows on remote frontend,
> few seconds of darkness and then back to "select a recording to view".
> The problem was that ReadStringList timed out and closed port before
> backend replied. This patch fixes the timeout problem, but is there any
> drawbacks having larger timeout value here (RequestBlock)?

Drawbacks would be that the frontend would take 30 Seconds+ to timeout
incase the server doesn't respond.

Does it timeout every time? RequestBlock is called more than once per second,
the quickTimeout is set to about 4 seconds. I suspect it takes your backend
longer to send the first packet, otherwise playback would not work at all
even with the longer timeout. With the longer timeout you probably still
have the 4+ second delay till playback starts?

You could try the following - revert your patch, libmyth/util.cpp line 152,
double the quickTimeout to 300 (or see what fits).

Could you post you frontend/backend and stream specs?

av