[mythtv] Using Release Candidates to minimize user trouble?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Thu Dec 25 23:38:22 EST 2003

On Thursday 25 December 2003 01:53 am, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> I might be speaking out of just my head, but wouldn't this
> just be a cvs management problem (which developers are
> supposed to keep track of), that involves the cvs commands
> 'cvs up -A', 'cvs up -r <rel>' and 'cvs up -f' to be
> used in the correct cases. Since a tag merily match a set
> of files, the 'cvs up -f' will force a head tag, which
> will include the last set of patches since the last rc.

Yeah, but then people are just using CVS head and not the tagged RC.  Might as
well just use CVS head =).  Then, of course, there's making an actual branch,
and not just a tagged version:

On Thursday 25 December 2003 12:27 pm, Tobias Blomberg wrote:
> I am using CVS branches to do this right now in another project. For
> example for the next release:

If it were going to be a longer 'getting stable' period than a week or so, I
might go for branches..  As it is, I really don't like doing a branch unless
it were absolutely necessary, as the eventual merge is just extra work.

On Thursday 25 December 2003 01:53 am, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> Also, the primary focus (on the first rc, or so) could only
> be focused only on the main mythtv program and library,
> as it's the largest one yet. Also in this phase any
> inconsistencies between the main mythtv module and the
> mythtv plugins could be resolved, if any, which would ease
> the task of preparing further release (candidates).

<shrug>  I'm pretty careful about changes that involve all plugins -- I rarely
have had things broken for more than a day or two..  Wouldn't expect it to be
an issue in the future.

Ah well.  Anyone else that participates in development want to comment?  I'm
fairly happy with the status quo, but...

Isaac