[mythtv] Segfault in frontend in mpeg decoder (backtrace attached)

Jason Hoos jhoos at thwack.net
Sat Dec 27 15:20:30 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 14:06, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
> Hmm, are no other DVB users seeing this?  It's quite annoying because it
> is killing the backend regularly as well (I assume it's as a result of
> the commercial tagging?).  Backend bt is not very helpful though:

For what it's worth, I have had a similar occurrence once or twice with
a corrupt HDTV stream.  In that case, the backtrace showed it dying
somewhere in the bowels of libavcodec, in some of the MMX stuff (looking
at the backtrace now, it was the put_pixels8_mmx function of
i386/dsputil_mmx.c).  At the time I figured out that I could work around
the problem by disabling commercial tagging, and I haven't turned it
back on lately to see if the problem still occurs or not.  I did keep
what I had of the video clip before it crashed, but I don't know if it
actually saved the bad frame or not.  Unfortunately I don't have any
good x86 assembly or MMX references to be able to make heads or tails of
the code in that function.

In any case since as mpeg12.c should be part of libavcodec, it might be
worth posting your info to the ffmpeg mailing list...

Jason