[mythtv] Viaslice OSD

Ivor Hewitt ivor at ivor.org
Sun Dec 28 09:41:00 EST 2003

Hehe.

Ok I've had an entertaining afternoon watching colours wandering about
the screen, and am writing to report failure so far! Due to a slight
oversight on my part. i.e. ok I wasn't concentrating and forgot how mpeg
decompression works.. :-)

It's possible to manipulate the generated MPEG image directly so you can
overlay stuff on it in colour... and possibly more interesting you can
pull back the decompressed image.

However, obviously, when the next mpeg frame is decompressed it works it
out based on the previous frame, which I've just blatted all over with a
colour OSD and clock.. So you get some rather wacky visual effects as
the OSD gets MPEG manipulated across the screen!

I guess it would be possible to copy the existing contents of the MPEG
buffer into an offscreen buffer and put the OSD up, and then copy it
back before the next frame is decompressed... but I don't think that'll
do much for performance somehow.

I think I'll go back to grey, and just tint it a bit.

Cheers,
Ivor.