[mythtv] Channel Locking Live TV

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Sat Feb 1 01:57:49 EST 2003

For some time I've been paranoid and very careful about
doing serious timeshifting tv too much because of the very simple
ease to lose the whole show by hitting the wrong button, causing the
ringbuffer to reset.  This is especially tricky on my remote control as the
fast forward and change channel buttons are very close and easy to
confuse if you aren't careful.

So feeling a little bored and curious of the source code, I decided
to try and add a simple feature...  A Channel Lock.  When set by
hitting "L", the Escape key and channel changing keystrokes
are ignored.  Hitting "U" unlocks.  Simple enough...

As an added feature, I added an OSD display of "Locked" and
"Unlocked" for 5 seconds to inform the user upon activating either
of these keystokes, and also the same display if attemping to
hit the Escape or channel keys (so the user is reminded the
display is locked).

I have include 4 diffs based on version .7.  I won't make any claim
if they follow your coding standards, and the OSD display may not
be to your liking, but the changes seem to work.
I haven't fully tested these with every possibility, especially
PIP (no testing in PIP), but they handle the basics.

If you don't feel this feature is apropriate, my feelings won't be hurt.
I realize there are other ways to quickly permanently record the show
so it won't be stored in a volitile ringbuf, but I guess I'm just not
quick with those yet.  This is simple but effective.

Keep up the excellent work.  I'm looking forward to version .8 and
beyond.

Brian