[mythtv] Back and frontend on same machine, mysql on another

IvanK. chepati at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 3 22:11:52 EST 2003

Guys,

sorry if this has been discussed before but I don't think this is covered
either in the HOWTO nor in the FAQ and searching the maillist archives is,
quite frankly, a pain in the ass.

I want to run mythbackend and mythfrontend on the same machine, but have the
mysql server on a different machine.  The mythweb is on the same machine that
runs mysql and also I want to put a nfs-exported disk to be mounted on the
first machine.  The mythweb and the nfs part is done.  I've also changed
mysql.txt to list the correct host, created the correct db/tables and granted
the correct privileges, created correct .my.cnf for mythtv user.  Typing
mysql I connect to the remote mysql server and I can perform INSERTs and
SELECTs and DELETEs, so I know the mythtv user can connect to it.

However, trying to start mythbackend gives me the can't connect to db message.

I'd appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,
IvanK.