[mythtv] PATCH: Commercial detection/skip using blank frames

Matthew Brichacek mmbrich at ldl.fc.hp.com
Fri Feb 21 13:39:55 EST 2003

I applied this patch and tried it out over my lunch hour.  I had the
daily show and futurama for testing.

When watching futurama from cartoon network, they use these funny clips
before and after a commercial break, they are clips of different shows
and sometimes the current show, then they wipe it off the screen to the
top or the bottom.  The commercial skip patch makes it past the first
one, but of course doesn't make it past the second one since it wipes to
the show instead of having blank frames.

The daily show was a different story.  For some reason it would only
skip the first 2 commercials, then I would have to hit "Z" to skip each
commercial after that.  The only pattern I could come up with was most
the commercials it had problems with were ones inserted by the local
cable provider.

I had about 2 minutes left to run some tests on Seinfeld from last night
on FOX.  It seemed to skip all the commercials OK.

Thats about all I have so far.

Matt

Matthew Brichacek <mmbrich at ldl.fc.hp.com>