[mythtv] RFC: Adding i18n (internationalization) to mythtv

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Sun Feb 23 11:13:08 EST 2003

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 10:46:36AM +0100, Leandro Dardini wrote:

> I have just added i18n support to my local mythvideo copy (qt is great),
> but before continuing the work and submitting the patch, I'd like to know
> your thought, expecially the Isaac one, because I don't like to submit
> unacceptable patch :)

If you send the patch to the mailing list, people can share their comments.
You can always change something that is not acceptable.

> About translation file, is /usr/local/share/mythtv/i18n a good place to
> place the *.qm file? the path will be hardcoded in the program source.

The path should not be hardcoded if at all possible; please make sure there
is not another way (gettext does not require hardcoding of paths).  If there
is no other way, make the hardcoded path relative to PREFIX.

> About locale selection, my debian install report "C" as the current
> locale, so it is important to allow the user to choose his locale, but
> how?  mythvideo still uses the "oldsettings" to read configuration
> parameter from mythexplorer..., other modules read them from database,
> considering that the locale selection will be common to all modules, will
> be better a new row in settings table or a "per module" solution?

MythTV should use the standard locale environment variables (run locale(1)
to see them), so that system-wide and user-specific locale settings are
respected.  I don't think there is any need to have a MythTV setting for the
locale.

--
 - mdz