[mythtv] PATCH: Commercial detection/skip using blank frames

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Feb 24 20:40:33 EST 2003

> > Post-processing will introduce other factors, such as if I'm recording 2
> > shows in a row from say 8-9 and 9-10, I don't want my cpu to spike to
> > 100% utilization at 9 because the first show is being processed for
> > commercials (which you would normally want to run as fast as it can).
>
> No, scanning should-be/is faster than than just playback, which idles
> waiting for the next frame (else you have a "error! overflow occured in

I know it's faster, and unless you throttle it like you are saying then
it will use 100% cpu.  I gave figures earlier that showed that on my
Athlon 700 I was able to scan every frame in a 1/2 hour show in less than
5 minutes.  So what I was saying above is that I don't want the cpu
throttled to 100% for 5 minutes after a show.  nice-ing a process would
work, but it would be better to flag blanks during recording anyway.

Chris