[mythtv] PATCH: Commercial detection/skip using blank frames

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Feb 24 20:12:32 EST 2003

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> I've got a patch ready that will speedup the skips ...
 > It only scans 2 seconds worth of video for each of these.

So it should reduce I/O. I gave it a shot for both local
and remote frontends. It seem a little quicker locally
but it still isn't practical for a remote frontend. I'm
not suggesting you tweak it for remote frontends, I just
don't think seeking remotely will ever work as well as
setting JumpAmount to 4 and hitting PageUp. However,
blank frame lists should work exactly the same for either
local or remote.

> The blank frame list (in ascii format) for a 1/2 hour TV show that I
> tested the other day was only 1881 bytes in size.  So figure a 2 hour show
> would only be 10K at the most probably.

Right. It'll be a tiny file that has virtually no impact
on disk space or throughput.

--  bjm