[mythtv] Anybody with a Santa Cruz sound card? Can you share your config?

Monty Walls mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri Jan 3 15:58:08 EST 2003

On 02 Jan 2003 19:59:43 -0500
Chris <cisip@sprintmail.com> wrote:

> I am having problems with my Santa Cruz.  There is a lot of audio
> warbling and scratchiness especially with higher audio rate settings
> such as 44100.  Isaac said it might be that the card is having
> difficulty with full duplex.  I am using the module cs46xx driver, not
> alsa because on my previous linux mandrake install, i could not record
> from the sound cards line in with alsa but i can with the kernel cs46xx
> driver.  I might try alsa again as I am in Redhat 8 now but I was
> wondering if anybody else is using this card and having these problems.
> I also got a c-media onboard audio on my kt400 soyo motherboard which I
> am using for the second tv tuner.  That one seems to fare better when
> watching live tv but I cant seem to record audio from it.  This is
> confusing because when you are watching live tv, arent you listening to
> recorded audio?  my recordings from this sound card have no audio.
> Thanks

Same card as the Hercules Fortissimo 2.  Same problems.  Linux OSS
kernel driver has unreliable sound but does duplex (see warbling, static, ...).
The alsa driver fixes that but can't do duplex.

My solution was to replace the damn thing with a Hoontech Digital XG (51$)
based on the YMF744.  Has very clean inputs and ouputs.

Avoid all CMI8738's, input lines suck badly, but output is fine (I've
tried 3 and all showed same symptoms).

Also remember to disable duplex in arts (if using kde).

--
-Monty Walls (mwalls@castor.oktax.state.ok.us)
-	MIS, Oklahoma Tax Commission