[mythtv] Suggested IR Transmitter Circuit

Rick Warner mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri Jan 3 20:14:31 EST 2003

Hello Jeremy,
	I just built the "Enrique Vidal" circuit and it works beautifully.. i think
that's the improved_transmitter one

I'm using it from about 10 ft away.  I got most of my parts from radio shack.
The ir transmitter was from an old remote control (the component it was for
was broken anyway).  I got the resistors and the transistors from my work,
but those are all easily found at radio shack.  For the diodes (since the
circuit doesn't say what to use), I used all 1N4148 diodes- standard silicon
switching diodes.  Just double check which pins are emitter, collector and
base on your transistors before you start.. i wired mine backwards at first
and took an hour to realize it!
  For the serial port connector, I just used one of those cables that go from
the motherboard tothe rear of the pc and cut the connector that goes to the
board.... i can then use a regular serial cable as an extension to the
transmitter..  this saved me from having to solder to the ever so small pins
on the serial connector directly.