[mythtv] Looking for details on myth-rtjpeg codec

Dave Caplinger mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon Jan 6 05:48:29 EST 2003

I've been playing with the previously posted mplayer patch to try to get
it to view (and later re-encode) my Myth recordings, but the problem is
that I don't use MPEG4 for my video, and I don't use MP3 for my audio.
(My MythBox is slow a Celeron/400 with 33MHz IDE for now!)  I've managed
to fix the patch so now the uncompressed audio plays fine in mplayer
(and doesn't crash), so now I'm starting work on the video stream.

I know that Myth's RTJPEG was once based on NuppelVideo's, but that it's
diverged significantly, so nothing that exists today that understands
NuppelVideo format works with Myth RTJPEG files.  But I don't know what
specifically was changed or why.  Can anyone summarize with more detail
than simply "because this is faster/better/whatever"?  Are these changes
something that should get folded back into NuppelVideo (which would
presumedly lead ultimately to other NuppelVideo-aware tools becoming
aware of the new functionality)?

I've seen it said on the list that the changes required to make other
NuppelVideo-aware tools understand Myth's format would be "pretty
straightforward," but I'm certainly not seeing it yet -- at the moment
I'm flailing in the deep end of the pool of codec knowledge. :-)

--
Dave Caplinger <dent@cox.net>