[mythtv] Sound card suggestions

Brian Foddy mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed Jan 8 15:45:31 EST 2003

I've had problems getting a SB awe64 to work properly in full duplex,
so it can record one sound while playing another.  The result
is I hear both sound tracks overlaid on top of each other.  I'm
using Mandrake 9.0 and the Alsa drivers.

So anyway, that was on one machine, now I'm trying to build a
dedicated prototype machine (Dual P2-450) and since I'll be buying
a new sound card anyway, I thought I'd ask for good suggestions.

Besides the obvious working with Mandrake and simple (autodetected) to
setup, I'd like it to be able to have multiple sound cards per machine
if I get that far, and fairly priced.

I was thinking the SB Live cards which I've seen OEM on Pricewatch
for about $32.  Microcenter has SB PCI-128 for about $20.  And they
have more expensive TurtleBeach and others also.

Maybe the duplex issue is only a problem with my older SBAwe cards,
but I just wanted to make sure what I buy will work good with Mythtv.

Thanks,
Brian