[mythtv] WinTV PVR-250 (hardware mpeg encoder)

Matthew S. Hallacy mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu Jan 9 16:07:07 EST 2003

Howdy,

I've searched the list archives, and there appears to be some interest in
making the WinTV PVR-250 work. There are currently reference drivers in
the wild for this beast, and they work fairly well. There'a also an example
application that does time shifting, recording to disk, etc. with various
resolution and bitrate settings.

I'm willing to put my time and effort into this, but I need to get the
following input from MythTV developers:

1) What would be the optimal method for MythTV to grab data from this
card? From the V4L API specs i've read, it doesn't seem to have support
for much else than YUV data, this kind of makes the PVR-250 useless =)

2) If the card is providing an MPEG1/MPEG2 datastream to MythTV, will
MythTV be playing those formats (and using them for the timeshifting, and
recording) or will the stream just be reencoded to MPEG4, or RTjpeg.

The output from this card is great, and I believe it would be a wonderful
way of promoting MythTV considering the cost of the card (around $140) and
the features of MythTV.

Side note, ALT+F4 doesn't exit mythfrontend for me, it's completely possible
that KDE is capturing this and doing something else with it, but it would
be rather nice if something without a modifier key also quit (such as 'Q')

=)