[mythtv] WinTV PVR-250 (hardware mpeg encoder)

Matthew S. Hallacy mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu Jan 9 19:44:52 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 02:27:51PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> Uh, sure.  There's absolutely no need for mythtv to support playing DVDs
> natively, though.  There's plenty of other programs that it can just exec for
> that.

Well, is there any reason for mythtv to have its own player to begin with?
You could use something like mplayer and gain support for many video formats,
along with DVD's and VCD's. I believe I saw a patch out there for mplayer
to play the MythTV videos in the FAQ.

I can easily do the timeshifting and whatnot with existing software on
my PVR-250, it's the EPG and scheduled recording that makes MythTV interesting
for my purposes.

Sorry if this has been brought up in the past, I haven't read the entire
archives (yet).