Re[2]: [mythtv] WinTV PVR-250 (hardware mpeg encoder)

Dr. J. S. Pezaris mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri Jan 10 14:06:24 EST 2003

    From: Wayne Johnson <bigman1@alltel.net>
    To: "Dr. J. S. Pezaris" <mythtv-dev@snowman.net>

    On the topic of quieting a computer it doesn't have to be expensive at
    all. rubber grommets found at hardware stores can be used for fan and
    harddrive/cd/dvd mounting to cut down vibration. Also, quiet fans can
    be found online at very reasonable prices.

I alluded to just this.  You can take a noisy machine and make it quiet by,
for example, purchasing sound deadening material ($20), whisper power
supplies ($40+), quiet-to-silent CPU fans ($20-60), quiet chassis fans
($5-10), isolation grommets ($1-5), and then pay attention to airflow, get
round cables, etc.  This ends up being a reasonable amount of work to find
order and install all these goodies, adds to the price of the machine, and
yields at best a *quiet* machine.  You can instead go all-out and spend
tons of money at a place like http://www.silentpc.nl/ (as one example) but
then you end up with something that I think is less than attractive for a
piece of AV equipment.

	- pz.

--
John Pezaris, Ph.D.