[mythtv] Re: hardware mpeg encoder

Tony Clark mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri Jan 10 16:00:30 EST 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 14.57, Eric C. Cooper wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 08:51:32AM +0100, Tony Clark wrote:
> > The way to really do this is for a hardware opencore mpeg4
> > encoder/decoder on an FPGA with opensource drivers.  I would be more
> > than willing to do the FPGA side of things but and it is a BIG but,
> > the cost is just going to go through the roof.  You are probably
> > looking somewhere from 200 - 500 USD to get a PCI card made with a
> > decent FPGA on it as a hobby project.  The benefits would be a nice
> > low power PC with little in the way of cooling.  You could get away
> > with a complete, passively cooled device if your willing to spend
> > extra bucks on a PSU.
>
> This FPGA-based hobby project (http://www.thepowleys.com/lanpipe)
> mentions a $100 price point.  I'm curious where that big a cost
> difference would come from, since I'd love to see one of these
> available.
I can get FPGAs for 7 or 8 bucks but I couldn't fit an mpeg4 encoder/decoder
in one.  I could probably fit what lanpipe have done though.  The device I
was thinking of is maybe around 60USD could be more as I have never been
involved in purchasing 1 off devices + PCB etc.

tony

--
Contract ASIC and FPGA design.
Telephone