[mythtv] Is there a "buffering" or read ahead feature for viewing videos accross the network?

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri Jan 10 20:21:02 EST 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 03:01 pm, Chris wrote:
> Rewinding is fast and fast
> forward is ok on video files 1 hour or less.  For movies 2 hours or
> greater the fast forward is slow because the system is still trying to
> fetch the data.  You can rewind fast and forward at a fast rate up to
> the point of the video you watched ( i guess there is some caching of
> the data locally so that the video data  does not have to be refetched
> when you rewind. )  I dont know if it is possible to improve this or if
> there is some solution already in the next release.

This was a bug that was fixed a little bit after the 0.7 release -- files over
a certain size didn't get a seek table, so seeking (especially over a
network) was really slow.

> Also I wonder if the
> next release has the option to record audio at a lower 22050 rate. I
> dont really see much difference in audio quality between 41000 and 22050
> in my setup but a 22050 rate might be more network friendly.

Well, right now I only have 32000, 44100, and 48000 selectable as sampling
rates (in the UI setup stuff in CVS).  I've been meaning to get things
working with lower rates, but I don't know if I'll find the time to do it.

Isaac