[mythtv] pcm audio control while recording

Harondel J. Sibble mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat Jan 11 17:27:52 EST 2003

On 11 Jan 2003 at 7:38, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:

> Do you have the external loop cable installed (from the TV card to the
> sound card) or an internal cable going from the TV card to the sound card
> (just like the cable going from a CD-ROM drive to a sound card)?

External cable for both TV cards.

> If so, unplug it/them. Make sure you've got the btaudio driver loaded,
> and that MythTV is reading the audio off the correct /dev/dsp device.

No that will not work here as the primary card is a BT848 (Aver TVPhone) so
doesn't support Btaudio. The secondary card (ATI TV Wonder) does support
btaudio, however I was not too impressed with the quality of the sound and
also the lag between a/v sync..  Presently thanks to Bruce Markey's
directions, I have 2 soundcards setup, My primary is the SB Live into which
the Aver TVPhone is hooked up too.  I also have the onboard VIA audio setup
as /dev/dsp2 into which the ATI TV Wonder hooks into. This works mostly fine,
except for the aforementioned live tv audio from the rear speakers.

Plus I need to recompile a lot of the software (qt et al) and have it done
for the right architecture.  It defaults to i586 rather than the Athlon i686
which I suspect has a lot to do with the reason that livetv spikes my Athlon
1800+ up to 80-90% cpu usage under both Mpeg4 and RTJpeg.  I am hoping after
recompiling I'll find that I can actually record 2 shows without a meltdown.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting