[mythtv] I dont know, its freaking me out.

Bruce Markey mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun Jan 12 05:08:07 EST 2003

Chris wrote:
> I see what you mean now.  I still cant get the audio working properly
> though. Switched to alsa on both the cmi8738 (/dev/dsp) and sb live on
> /dev/dsp1.  Followed the instructions using xawtv -c /dev/video0 -C
> /dev/dsp and aplay /dev/dsp. I heard the sound played back as expected
> so full duplex is working with the cmi8738.

Good! half way there...

> ... With the sb live. I tried
> xawtv -c /dev/video1 -C /dev/dsp1.  I heard sound so I muted line in in
> alsamixer, line in is selected as capture device.

I failed to mention that you need "alsamixer -c 1" to address the
mixers for the second card. The upper left-hand corner of
"alsamixer" should tell you it is the cmi8738.
"alsamixer -c 1" should say "Sound Blaster Live!".

>  ...When I did a aplay
> /dev/dsp1 I heard  no sound. It mentioned about xrun!! and at least
> something seconds.

Great! those messages mean it found a device it can play on
/dev/dsp1. Your modules file looks correct and must have
loaded correctly. Three quarters of the way...

> Interestingly, though while playing with the mixer
> settings, I noticed ac97 which affects the volume out of the sb16.  I
> attached my modules.conf.  Any suggestioins?  Thanks

So you must have the four settings mentioned in the HOWTO set
correctly for the first card. For the second card you only
need two things; the CAPTUR source and the Capture mixer
level. Use "alsamixer -c 1" to set these. This is something
else that may take a few seconds to grasp. The second card
doesn't have speakers and doesn't need them. MythTV and aplay
read from /dev/dsp1 then send the audio data to the PCM
device on the first card then out to the speakers. Therefore,
on my second card, everything is muted, volume is 0 for
everything except Capture, and CAPTUR is set for Line.

That should do it. Once you get this working you may want
to consider using the sb as the primary to take advantage
of it's features and use the on-board for /dev/dsp1 only.

--  bjm